A/B Testing: A Step-by-Step Guide
This new feature allows you to create one campaign but split the campaign into two groups - Group A and Group B - You can then set different messages/outreach techniques within the groups to A/B test, helping identify the messages/outreach techniques that provide the best results.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use this function when creating a campaign from a Sales Navigator search URL (the principle can be applied to any of the campaign types).
1. Create your list of prospects you wish to target in Sales Navigator as you would do for a standard campaign. And copy the URL.
2. Select the ‘Create Campaigns’, choose either single channel or omnichannel, and click the ‘Filter URL’ option - paste the URL in the box provided.
3. Ensure you give your Campaign an appropriate name - perhaps mention the filters you used so that if you want to recreate the campaign and change a filter you can see at a glance what you did. Remember to click Automate Data Cleansing and most importantly for this you MUST click to ‘Run A/B Testing’ in order for the prospects to be split.
4. Once the fetch has completed - click on the campaign name and load the Profile tab. You will notice that there is a new column with identities which group each prospect belongs to. You can not change this it is simply a 50/50 split.
5. Click the Modules tab so you can enable which ever ‘Modules’ you want to take effect. For this example, we will be focusing on Profile Invites, InMails, and Sequences (You can also A/B test email invites once you have enriched the campaign with the emails)
6. Scroll to the Profile Invites module and turn it On and then click on the setting button. You will now see that you have the option to select a template for Group A and Group B. Select your predetermined templates and set the number of invites you wish to send per day, any delay and always remember to Auto Scale and Randomize.
7. You can repeat step 6 for InMails.
8. Scroll to the bottom and click the Sequence tab. And again in here, you can select how many steps each sequence has for each group and you can select different messages should you wish to. Once you have set all the modules up that you want to take effect REMEMBER To click ‘Save Modules’.
9. Remember to click play!
10. Once the campaign has been running for a few days you can begin to assess and understand the results of your A/B test as we have added an A/B stats tab. Click on this and you can see all the results of the test so far.
Invite and InMail and at the bottom Sequences. You can also see your templates in this location as well should you need to.
We encourage you to try this new feature and make the most of it. Especially when launching a new campaign, it can have a tremendous impact if you identify which message works best early on to make adjustments.
How does this help me?
The best way to really know what messages work for an audience is to A/B test the audience! If you know you’ll be reaching out to a large group of people in a future campaign, take a small fraction of those people, create a campaign with them first, and A/B test outreach messages to them first. This way, you know which method works best, and you can then use that method for the remaining audience.